One of the things I noticed going through the training is the stark nature of the graphical elements used to represent the business process. (There is a standard for creating BPM diagrams called, not surprisingly, BPM Notation.) If there is anything that can get to the heart of messed up practices, it is having it shown to you in black- and-white. Then you can start deleting and rearranging the tasks so they make sense.

It is also a good way to document what /is/ good practice and show that to other libraries in a consistent and meaningful way. I guess I'm taking an optimistic view of the process -- what will come out is better than the sum of the parts that will make it up.

Peter