Darrell Eifert wrote:
There are commercial options from Groovix or Userful, but that pretty much defeats the practical goal of lowering IT costs, or the ideological goal of moving to free and open-source applications.

I have a hard time considering "free" (as in "not paying for") as ideological. If linux is a good desktop, the "freeness" is icing on the cake. (And it's only free as in the purchase price; you still pay in some way to maintain it.) If you need to purchase apps to make your library work as it should, then you should budget for that. I think we need to see "free" and "open source" as two different properties that MAY intersect but do not necessarily intersect.

kc
(who prefers linux to windows, and is looking forward to being able to purchase my favorite apps for linux as they become available)

--
kco...@kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net