From: Bethany Nowviskie <bp...@eservices.virginia.edu>
Date: July 13, 2009 5:14:17 PM EDT
Subject: project management survey: "Graceful Degradation"

Together with Dot Porter of the Royal Irish Academy, I'm undertaking a
survey of project management attitudes and practices in the digital
humanities community.  The survey is called "Graceful Degradation:
Managing Digital Humanities Projects in Times of Transition and
Decline" and is online here:

http://graceful-degradation.questionpro.com/

We're paying particular attention to projects that have weathered
transitional phases or have entered some kind of afterlife, but need
development.  We also seek responses not only from scholars and PIs,
but from collaborators of all sorts, from all sectors of the academy
and beyond.  We're defining "digital humanities project" very broadly,
so that digitization and digital library projects, and IT
infrastructure-building in support of the arts, humanities, and social
sciences can be included along with editorial, tool-building, and
interpretive scholarly work.

Our goal is to share some clear data and collective wisdom on the
causes and outcomes of transitional phases in digital projects, and to
understand what "decline" means and why it happens in a shifting
landscape of scholarship and sustainability. Can we offer tips on
avoiding disaster? or, failing that, substantiate what John Unsworth
called the "importance of failure?"

We also want to break the taboo on talking about projects that have
gone sour!

This work builds on panel discussions and papers at Digital Humanities
'08 and '09, some of which have recently appeared in a special issue
("Done") in DHQ: http://digitalhumanities.org/dhq/  Our results will
be first presented at DRHA in Belfast and MLA in Philly.

All responses are confidential and anonymous unless you explicitly
give us permission to contact you.

Please contribute!

http://graceful-degradation.questionpro.com/

-- Bethany

Bethany Nowviskie, MA Ed, Ph.D
Director, Digital Research & Scholarship, UVA Library
Associate Director, Scholarly Communication Institute
http://lib.virginia.edu/scholarslab/ ‚óŹ http://uvasci.org/