Eric Hellman wrote:
http://catalog.library.jhu.edu/bib/NUM identifies a catalog record- I mean what else would you use to id the catalog record. unless you've implemented the http-range 303 redirect recommendation in your catalog (http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/), it shouldn't be construed as identifying the thing it describes, except as a private id, and you should use another field for that.
Of course. But how is a link resolver supposed to know that, when all it has is rft_id=http://catalog.library.jhu.edu/bib/NUM ??

I suggest that this is a kind of ambiguity in OpenURL, that many of us are using rft_id to, in some contexts, simply provide an unambiguous identifier, and in other cases, provide an end-user access URL (which may not be a good unambiguous identifier at all!). With no way for the link resolver to tell which was intended.

So I don't think it's a good idea to do this. I think the community should choose one, and based on the language of the OpenURL spec, rft_id is meant to be an unambiguous identifier, not an end-user access URL.

So ideally another way would be provided to send something intended as an end-user access URL in an OpenURL.

But OpenURL is pretty much a dead spec that is never going to be developed further in any practical way. So, really, I recommend avoiding OpenURL for some non-library standard web standards whenever you can. But sometimes you can't, and OpenURL really is the best tool for the job. I use it all the time. And it constantly frustrates me with it's lack of flexibility and clarity, leading to people using it in ambiguous ways.

Jonathan