I think using locally meaningful ids in rft_id is a misuse and a mistake. locally meaningful data should goi in rft_dat, accompanied by rfr_id

just sayin'

On Sep 15, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

I do like Ross's solution, if you really wanna use OpenURL. I'm much more comfortable with the idea of including a URI based on your own local service in rft_id, then including any old public URL in rft_id.

Then at least your link resolver can say "if what's in rft_id begins with (eg) http://telstar.open.ac.uk/, THEN I know this is one of these purl type things, and I know that sending the user to it will result in a redirect to an end-user-appropriate access URL." Cause that's my concern with putting random URLs in rft_id, that there's no way to know if they are intended as end-user-appropriate access URLs or not, and in putting things in rft_id that aren't really good "identifiers" for the referent at all. But using your own local service ID, now you really DO have something that's appropriately considered a "persistent identifier" for the referent, AND you have a straightforward way to tell when the rft_id of this context is intended as an access URL.

Jonathan

Eric Hellman
President, Gluejar, Inc.
41 Watchung Plaza, #132