Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>:

If a text aggregate "is" an expression -- that expression must belong
to SOME work though, right?

Right, and this is where I get a bit confused. Can an aggregate of poems be work? Honestly, I have trouble making sense of that.

And if the individual things inside the aggregate ALSO exist on their
own independently (or in OTHER aggregations)... and you want to model
that (which you may NOT want to spend time modelling in the individual
cases, depending on context)... dont' those individual things inside
the aggregate need to be modelled as expressions (which belong to a
work) themselves?

That was not the conclusion on the RDA-L list. The aggregate itself was an expression. Then you could add a relationship from the aggregate to the contained work, something like:

Big Book of Poems -- contains -- Expression: Leaves of Grasses -- Expresses -- Work: Leaves of Grass

In general, Jenn has spent more time thinking about these things in
terms of music-related records than even the long discussions on RDA-L,
and I think has even authored a position paper for some body on this
subject?  I am guessing that in musical cataloging, the individual
things inside an aggregate often DO exist on their own independently or
in other aggregations, and for the needs of music patrons, that DOES
need to be modelled, and I don't see how to do it except to call those
things works of their own too?    If Symphony X is a work, then it's
still a work when an expression of it is bound together with Symphony's
A, B, and C, right?  Jonathan

That makes sense to me in terms of music as well as text. And as we were discussing text it seemed to me that musical recordings would be the big test, because they are predominantly independent expressions that happen to be gathered into a compilation (probably as much about marketing as anything else).

So that's why I wondered if the music folks (read: Jenn) had followed the RDA-L discussion, which took a different direction when the discussion was about text.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kco...@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net