On 3/25/2010 10:24, Brian Stamper wrote:
On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 17:51:38 -0400, Mark Tomko <mark.to...@simmons.edu>
wrote:

I wouldn't recommend PHP to learn as a programming language, if your
goal is to have a general purpose programming language at your
disposal. PHP is a fine language for building dynamic web pages, but
it won't help you to slice and dice a big text file or process a bunch
of XML or do some other "odd job" that you don't want to do by hand.

To be precise, PHP can indeed do these kind of things, particularly in
command line mode. I certainly don't recommend it, but if you're used to
PHP for other reasons, and you already have it available to you, you can
do 'odd jobs' with PHP. You can also use your teeth to open a tight
bottle cap, the edge of a knife as a screwdriver, and duct tape to
perform auto repairs.

++

Especially if you're doing or thinking of doing things in the general web arena, PHP is widely used, well-supported by a variety of open-source libraries/frameworks/other projects, and webhosts. It can probably do X, though something else might do it better. That's why I adopted PHP: overall success.

See also http://i.imgur.com/pG3q7.jpg

--
Yitzchak Schaffer
Systems Manager