He means JavaScript. ;)

Honestly, though, PHP and all it's fault not withstanding, I highly recommend starting with a C syntax-based language such as JavaScript, PHP, Java, or even C# (and obviously C and C++). Get some basic programming concepts understood, and then pursue the language the fits the bill for the task you're trying to solve.

Most languages share some similarities, so moving between them gets easier as you go a long. Starting with a C syntax-based language will put you in good stead for learning several more (the list above is by no means exhaustive).

If you want to check out some language usage statistics, I recommend these two sites:
http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
http://langpop.com/

And do join the #code4lib IRC channel. It's enjoyable regardless of the language you pick. :)