Bill,

Here are relative percentages for our Horizon catalog, based on our 2008-2009
annual report:

Browse Searches 76.2%
Keyword Searches        20.9%
Mulit-index Searches    2.9%

That interface presents a browse search box before a keyword search box, so
browses are encouraged by the UI.

That said, we did a study with our graduate students this year and they rely on
browse searches for some of their academic work.  One is the use of subject and
author browses, which lets  the student feel confident that they have been
exhaustive in their searching in their area of research.  This can possibly be
accommodated in other ways.

In addition to known-item searching, our grad students also use title browse to
be confident that we do _not_ own something.  In our relevance-ranked
interface, sometimes the scholar may blame relevance ranking for "hiding" a
title from them which we don't actually own.  It's an understandable reaction.

-Tod

Tod Olson <t...@uchicago.edu>
Systems Librarian
University of Chicago Library