On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Jill Ellern <ell...@email.wcu.edu> wrote:

> I know we can put this open source software on a PC...and we've done that but
> this isn't a solution for a production level web service
>
> What is the average cost of hosting a drupal server out there in the cloud?
> Are there things we should know?  Would you recommend anyone that does this
> for libraries?

It all depends on what "production level web service" means to you --
do you get lots of traffic? A little? Do you want to call someone on
the phone when it goes pear-shaped? Even if the problem is with a
customization you're making? How much downtime is OK? How snappy does
it need to be?

It sounds a bit like your IT department is trying to give you a
brush-off ("This sounds like a pain. Let's make them use a dedicated
server, and say it'll cost INFINITY DOLLARS.") Sitting down with
someone, being very clear with your expectations for support, and
finding out what their major concerns are might help.

Generally, hosting will run something like $5-10/month for cheap
shared hosting, and maybe $30-40/month for a small VPS.

-n