Hi!

I gladly report, that we had the first code4lib.hu codesprint yesterday.
The purpose was to code with each other, and learn something from
each other. It was a 3,5 hour session at the National Széchényi Library,
Budapest. We created a script, which extracts ISBN numbers and book
cover images from an OAI-PMH data provider, embeded as METS
records. Hopefuly this code will be part in two or three different library
or book related services in the next months. We have discussed the
technical details, and the advantages, and the right problems of uploading
a local history photo collection to Flickr. Unfortunatelly we didn't
have time to code the Flickr part.
There was only a couple of coders, but we had a goot talk, new acquaintances.
(For those in #code4lib: this time we had no bbq, nor 'slambuc', but lots of
biscuits and mineral water. ;-)

If - for whatever reason - you want to follow or join us, see our group page:
http://groups.google.com/group/ikr-fejlesztok/

The meeting was run as a section of the Library's K2 (library 2.0)
task force's workshop about the usage of library 2.0 tools.
http://blog.konyvtar.hu/k2/

Some technical details:
- we use PHP as the common language
- for OAI-PMH harvesting we use Omeka's OAI harvester plugin
- for Flickr communication we planned to use Phlickr, a PHP library
- the OAI server we harvested run at University of Debrecen, and based on DSpace
- we found a bug in the Ubuntu version of PHP 5.2.10 (SimpleXMLElement have
a problem with xpath() method) - but we found a workaround as well.

Regards,
Péter

Reply via email to