Mark- I would highly recommend looking at Tornado
(http://www.tornadoweb.org) as an alternative to using Django without
the ORM. It provides URL dispatch and templating capabilities without
commitment to a particular storage model, and is fast in standalone
use, without requiring extra scaffolding like WSGI. It has been an
extremely productive framework for me. - BPA

Bradley P. Allen
http://bradleypallen.org