I did some of the development on Kochief, a discovery interface that
places Django in front of Solr [1]. I made some stabs at including
cataloging as well, but never got too far in that direction.

Django-nonrel looks like a neat project, with a lot of what one would
need in a collection management system already built in. I'm impressed
by their work on a search engine. I wonder how many documents it can
handle.

[1] http://kochief.googlecode.com