There's a lot of resistance in my institution to A/B or multivariate testing
any of our live production properties (catalog, website, etc...).  I've
espoused the virtues of having hard data to back up user activity (if I hear
one more "well, in my opinion", I'll just go blind), but the reply is always
along the lines of, "But it will confuse users!"  I've pointed out the
myriad successful and critical business that use these methodologies, but
was told that businesses and academia are different.

So, my question to you is, which of you academic libraries are using A/B
testing; on what potion of your web properties (catalog, discovery
interface, website, etc...); and I suppose to spark conversation, which
testing suite are you using (Google Website Optimizer, Visual Website
Optimizer, a home-rolled non-hosted solution)?

I was told if I can prove it's a commonly accepted practice, I can move
forward.  So help a guy out, and save me from having to read another survey
of 12 undergrads that is "proof positive" of changes I need to make.

Thanks!

*Sean Moore*
Web Application Programmer
*Phone*: (504) 314-7784