So that will teach me to post a moderately controversial opinion, then leave to
take the kids out for a pizza dinner.

I agree with what has been said so far, an in particular with Jonathan's latest
e-mail below.  Abstraction layers are good.  Hiding abstraction layers from
users is even better.  If the best you can do is an external Handle/PURL
set-up, then it is better than nothing.  If you have some control and
institutional commitment to a URL space -- creating "cool URIs" [1] to your
content, if you will -- then by all means do that.  If you can also attempt to
future-proof your URL space with something like ARKs [2], then I think it is
the best of all worlds.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Provider/Style/URI
[2] https://confluence.ucop.edu/display/Curation/ARK

Peter

--
Peter Murray         peter.mur...@lyrasis.org        tel:+1-678-235-2955

Ass't Director, Technology Services Development   http://dltj.org/about/
Lyrasis   --    Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.
The Disruptive Library Technology Jester                http://dltj.org/
Attrib-Noncomm-Share   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/