I've done a lot of ajax/Solr stuff with jquery and Cocoon.  I typically deal
with large XML datasets, so Cocoon is an ideal application for me to use.
Ajax calls are made to Cocoon pipelines that are transformations of Solr XML
search results processed by Saxon against XSLT.  It's quite fast, even for
facet pagination.  I've also done some work with TermsComponent to deliver
autosuggest for controlled vocabulary terms, like LCSH, which are stored in
a Solr index.

Beyond the typical use of Ajax to load HTML content dynamically, I've built
an OpenLayers front end that is dynamically generated from Ajax calls to a
Cocoon pipeline that queries Solr and returns results in the form of KML.

Ethan Gruber
American Numismatic Society