Curious what script you've used that isn't production ready -- I don't think you meant to post in the URL for the JQuery library?

On 5/19/2011 10:39 AM, Karen Coyle wrote:
This sounds like a great way to "translate" from library forms to wikipedia name forms. But for on-the-fly use I wonder if it wouldn't be more efficient to eliminate the "middle man." Karen, can you say a little about what it took to link library names to WP? Was it a one-step, two-step, etc.?

There is a script that I've seen used, although it doesn't seem to be production ready:

  https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.4.4/jquery.min.js

One interesting note from the OL experience of linking to WP: generally you need to "re-reverse" the names to get a match: from Twain, Mark to Mark Twain. But for some names that isn't the case: Mao, Tse-Tung. Edward Betts used Wikipedia to determine which names do not get "re-reversed".

The OL code for its wikipedia lookup is at:
https://github.com/openlibrary/openlibrary/tree/master/openlibrary/catalog/wikipedia

It, however, runs against dumps rather than an API.

kc

Quoting Karen Coombs <librarywebc...@gmail.com>:

Graham,

I'd advocate using WorldCat Identities to get to the appropriate url
for dbpedia. Each Identity record has a wikipedia element in it that
you could use to link to either Wikipedia or dbpedia.

If you want to see an example of this in action you can check out the
Author Info demo I did for code4lib 2010 here -
http://www.librarywebchic.net/mashups/author_info/info_about_this_author.php?OCLCNum=32939031

The code for this demo is available for download at -
http://www.worldcat.org/devnet/code/devnetDemos/trunk/

You'll want the author_info folder and identity_info.php

Karen

Karen A. Coombs
Product Manager
OCLC Developer Network