Quoting Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>:

Right, so like I keep saying, as far as I can tell, those files are lists of URLs, one for each code. (Or technically lists of RDF-triples, but where two parts of each triple is identical in every triple just saying "this URL is part of the marc geographic vocabulary", and then each triple has a unique URL representing a code).

And I'd need to do a seperate HTTP request for each code ( a couple hundred?) to actually get the label(s).

I'm not sure why you see it as separate requests, unless the downloaded file doesn't work for you -- but maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do. The downloaded full file has the display data and the codes:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/geographicAreas/fq";>
        <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Concept"/>
<rdf:type rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#Resource"/>
        <owl:sameAs rdf:resource="info:lc/vocabulary/gacs/fq"/>
<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Africa, French-speaking Equatorial</skos:prefLabel> <skos:notation rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string";>fq</skos:notation> <skos:inScheme rdf:resource="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/geographicAreas"/>
        <skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">Africa, Equatorial</skos:altLabel>
        <skos:narrower>
            <skos:Concept>
                <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Chad, Lake</skos:prefLabel>
<skos:broader rdf:resource="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/geographicAreas/fq"/>
            </skos:Concept>
        </skos:narrower>
        <skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">French Equatorial Africa</skos:altLabel>
<skos:altLabel xml:lang="en">French-speaking Equatorial Africa</skos:altLabel> <skos:exactMatch rdf:resource="http://id.loc.gov/authorities/sh85001608#concept"/> <skos:broader rdf:resource="http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/geographicAreas/f"/>
        <vs:term_status>stable</vs:term_status>
        <skos:changeNote rdf:nodeID="fq"/>

so if ypu pick out the value in prefLabel and the value in notation you have what you need, no? (admittedly, this is NOT the same as a simple, comma delimited list!)

<skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Chad, Lake</skos:prefLabel>
<skos:notation rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string";>fq</skos:notation>

Am I missing something? That's not a very convenient way to get the data for the very common use case of wanting to construct a mapping from code to label, right? Or that's just me?

What would be nice would be a simple XSLT transform that turns out a CSV on the fly, always getting the latest values.

No?

kc

--
Karen Coyle