> But I had no idea Marc8 allowed escape sequences to temporarily switch
> to a different encoding. Really? Oh my god.

For you young'uns that were "born Unicode" and are a bit foggy on the MARC-8
environment (and all its... intricacies), I did a short write-up a few years
ago:

        Coded Character Sets > A Technical Primer for Librarians
        http://rocky.uta.edu/doran/charsets/

Feel free to skip the intro, but the "MARC-8" and "MARC Unicode" sections are
short and worth a read.  Plus there's a lot of bonus stuff, including
"Resources on the Web" (http://rocky.uta.edu/doran/charsets/resources.html)
with an emphasis on library automation and the internet environment.

Begging your pardon for the self-promotion,

-- Michael