I was a strong proponent of NDJ at one point, but I've grown less strident
and more weary since then.

Brad Baxter has a good overview of some options[1]. I'm assuming it's a
given we'd all prefer to work with valid JSON files if the pain-point can
be brought down far enough.

A couple years have passed since we first talked about this stuff, and the
state of JSON pull-parsers is better than it once was:

  * yajl[2] is a super-fast C library for parsing json and support stream
parsing. Bindings for ruby, node, python, and perl are linked to off the
home page. I found one PHP binding[3] on github which is broken/abandoned,
and no other pull-parser for PHP that I can find. Sadly, the ruby wrapper
doesn't actually expose the callbacks necessary for pull-parsing, although
there is a pull request[4] and at least one other option[5].
  * Perl's JSON::XS supports incremental parsing
  * the Jackson java library[6] is excellent and has an easy-to-use
pull-parser. There are a few simplistic efforts to wrap it for jruby/jython
use as well.

Pull-parsing is ugly, but no longer astoundingly difficult or slow, with
the possible exception of PHP. And output is simple enough.

As much as it makes me shudder, I think we're probably better off trying to
do pull parsers and have a marc-in-json document be a valid JSON array.

We could easily adopt a *convention* of, essentially, one-record-per-line,
but wrap it in '[]' to make it valid json. That would allow folks with a
pull-parser to write a real streaming reader, and folks without to "cheat"
(ditch the leading and trailing [], and read the rest as
one-record-per-line) until such a time as they can start using a more
full-featured json parser.

1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Baxter.brad/Drafts/JSON_Document_Streaming_Proposal
2. http://lloyd.github.com/yajl/