Hello, Nishit.  I'm not sure what kind of response you were looking for.  I
volunteered to be on the program planning committee for the upcoming Code4Lib
meeting, so part of me wants to respond from a program planning perspective.
I'm also a member of the anarchistic Code4Lib community, so I want to respond
from that one-person/one-vote perspective as well.  So here is a reply with the
two perspectives rolled into one.

>From the first perspective, this probably isn't the ideal mailing list to
>bring up the question of scheduling this into the meeting.  The meeting
>planning is happening on the code4libcon Google Group
>(http://groups.google.com/group/code4libcon).  Hopefully you have been in
>touch with the Code4Lib meeting hosts to see if they have any concerns or
>objections to what you are proposing.  If not, I'd do so pronto!

>From the second perspective, I see a couple of problems.  First, the proposed
>schedule has the prototype built during the meeting itself.  Others may voice
>otherwise, but I go to the meeting to absorb the content from presentations
>and to network with attendees.  So I, for one, wouldn't be interested in using
>the time during the week on heads-down coding.  (Others may feel otherwise,
>obviously.)  (Also note that Code4Lib typically hasn't had a heads-down coding
>challenge during the meeting like what I've seen at the Open Repositories
>meeting.  Not that it couldn't be tried, but you'd be swimming against a
>strong tide of tradition at this late date.)  Second, all of the selections
>are being done by Elsevier, which is out-of-character for a highly
>participatory group like Code4Lib.  You might want to revisit that part to see
>if you can get community engagement at the selection stages as well.

Thanks for sponsoring the meeting last year and this year.  I hope this
constructive criticism is helpful.

Peter

--
Peter Murray
Assistant Director, Technology Services Development

1438 West Peachtree Street NW
Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30309
Toll Free: 800.999.8558
Fax: 404.892.7879
www.lyrasis.org

LYRASIS: Great Libraries. Strong Communities. Innovative Answers.