Thanks for all of the replies.  Yes, hosted JPEG2000 seems the way to
go.  I can't even open a 300MB TIFF on an iPad.  We use ContentDM to
upload JPEG2000 images right now so serving them would not be an
issue.  My basic idea was that in a tablet form with high resolution
images you could pinch and zoom the experience of "holding" a
manuscript would actually be more intimate and closer to the intended
viewing experience of the original creator.  That said pixelation is
the enemy.  Additionally being able to mark up a digital manuscript
and make a copy for future reference would be valuable.

My original idea was a small class in Special Collections that would
be given matching iPads vs a group that had either access to the
original or high quality reproductions and seeing which group got more
out of it.  Putting the images on a server fixes many issues but
creates new ones.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Edward Iglesias