Just personally speaking I think the idea of University Libraries
charging for services to other units can be a good thing.  We have a
very good relationship with out IT department but they are now
reaching a point where storage costs are such that they are having to
charge departments that use more than a certain amount on network
shares.  About those archival TIFFs...

Similarly libraries have an economic responsibility to try to be
entrepreneurial centers of profit instead of loss.  It may not be
tasty but it is a pill we have to swallow.  I think there are good
opportunities for libraries to realize substantial revenue by charging
for things like data storage and organization.  That said, I do think
that this will differ widely by University.  When I was at Loyola New
Orleans our library advertising campaign was taken on as a project by
marketing students.  No money changed hands.  If we had asked the
marketing department to put together a team to develop a campaign I
imagine it would have been different.

Edward Iglesias