On 11/20/2012 8:25 PM, Godmar Back wrote:
Could you elaborate on your belief that COinS is "actually illegal in
HTML5?" Why would that be so?

Yeah, thanks for calling me on that, I was wrong! Not sure where I got that idea, but it does not seem to be illegal. (Did some earlier version of HTML5 get rid of 'title attribute on every element'? Or was I just confused?)

Perhaps what I was thinking of is that some people see an accessibility issue in using the 'title' attribute for non-human-readable data, like COinS does. As the title attribute theoretically provides extra human-readable content that a user-agent can display in some cases, and filling it with non-human-readable data may confuse people. I seem to recall _someone_ complaining about a COinS title attribute on these grounds in some app I develop, but I can't remember the details.

Here's others mentioning that potential problem:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microformat#Accessibility
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radiolabs/2008/06/removing_microformats_from_bbc.shtml

Still, it's kind of messy to use a title attribute for non-human-readable purposes. And is a large part of the motivation for HTML5 microdata.

  - Godmar