From: Code for Libraries [CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU] on behalf of Karen Coyle
[li...@kcoyle.net]
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 3:25 PM
To: CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Getting started with Ruby and library-ish data (was RE:
[CODE4LIB] You *are* a coder. So what am I?)

On 2/18/13 12:53 PM, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:
> On 2/18/2013 2:04 PM, Jason Stirnaman wrote:
>> I've been thinking alot about how to introduce not only my kids, but
>> some of our cataloging/technical staff to thinking "programmatically"
>> or "computationally"[1] or whatever you want to call it.
>
> Do you have an opinion of the google 'computational thinking'
> curriculum pieces linked off of that page you cite? For instance, at:
>
> http://www.google.com/edu/computational-thinking/lessons.html

I looked at the "Beginning Python" one[1], and I have to say that any
intro to programming that begins with a giant table of mathematical
functions is a #FAIL. Wow - how wrong can you get it?

On the other hand, I've been going through the Google online python
class [2] and have found it very easy to follow (it's youtubed), and the
exercises are interesting. What I want next is more exercises, and
someone to talk to about any difficulties I run into. I want a hands-on
hacker space learning environment that has a live expert (and you
wouldn't have to be terribly expert to answer a beginner's questions).
It's very hard to learn programming alone because there are always
multiple ways to solve a problem, and an infinite number of places to
get stuck.

kc
[1] http://tinyurl.com/bcj894s
[2] https://developers.google.com/edu/python/