Hi Shea,

Well, one option you might explore is extracting metadata from images using exiftool (http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/) to a CSV or TXT file and then convert this file to what ever tool or file format (xml) you use for batch import to your CMS. So semi-automated.

We currently do the reverse, embed metadata into images and then ingest to our IR (DSpace).

hope this helps,
Monica