> EZproxy is a self-installing statically compiled single binary download,
> with a built-in administrative interface that makes most common
> administrative tasks point-and-click, that works on Linux and Windows
> systems, and requires very little in the way of resources to run.  It also
> has a library of a few hundred vendor stanzas that can be copied and pasted
> and work the majority of the time.
>
> To successfully replace EZproxy in this setting, it would need to be
> packaged in such a way that it is equally easy to install and maintain, and
> the library of vendor stanzas would need to be developed as apache conf.d
> files.

This. The real gain with EZProxy is that configuring it is crazy easy. You
just drop it in and run it -- it's feasible for someone with no experience
in proxying or systems administration to get it operational in a few
minutes. That is why I think virtualizing a system that makes accessing the
more powerful features of EZProxy easy is a good alternative.

kyle