On Jun 4, 2014, at 3:32 PM, Jodi Schneider <jschnei...@pobox.com> wrote:

> However, I believe that ISNI is bridging between these various sources --
> certainly including LC and VIAF [1], and also ORCID [2].
>
> [1] http://www.isni.org/content/data-contributors
> [2] From http://orcid.org/content/what-relationship-between-isni-and-orcid
> "ORCID identifiers utilize a format compliant with the ISNI ISO standard.
> ISNI has reserved a block of identifiers for use by ORCID, so there will be
> no overlaps in assignments."

I’m glad ISNI’s have been mentioned. Thank you.

I had not heard about ISNIs until very recently, and I was both embarrassed as
well as surprised. Sure, I’ve read the Web pages, [1] but what are ISNIs? How
are they different from other identifiers, and is it just my imagination or
have they simply not become as popular here in the ‘States as they are in
Europe, and why?

[1] ISNI - http://isni.org/

—
Eric M.