From: Code for Libraries [mailto:CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Eric
Hellman
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2014 2:31 PM
To: CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] Canvas Fingerprinting by AddThis

I must say I'm surprised that most of the response to "libraries are letting
advertisers track patrons as they browse their catalogs" is discussion of
privacy condomware. Perhaps I've missed something?

> On Aug 14, 2014, at 1:39 PM, Karen Coyle <li...@kcoyle.net> wrote:
>
> Bill (&others), are you running PrivacyBadger alongside AdBlock? I'm
concerned about the confluence of decisions there, although tempted to try
anyway.

> Thanks,
> kc
>
>> On 8/13/14, 2:08 PM, William Denton wrote:
>>> On 13 August 2014, Karen Coyle wrote:
>>>
>>> *ps - I had a great cookie manager for a while, but it's no longer
around. Cookie control in browsers actually was easier a decade ago -
they've obviously been discouraged from including that software. If anyone
knows of a good cookie program or plugin, I'd like to hear about it.

>> I use Cookie Monster [0] and like it.
>>
>> Related:  on my work box I'm trying out the EFF's Privacy Badger [1],
which I hope will be a success.  At home I use Disconnect [2], which blocks
entire domains.  It's great for cutting out cookies and junk like AddThis,
but cripes, I hadn't realized how many people pull in Javascript libraries
from Google or Yahoo. That's a harder way of tracking to avoid.