I haven't done this, but have been thinking about it. I _think_ what the docs mean, is you can create an Alias in IIS (is that what IIS calls it?) for the same directory, so you have two different paths appearing to IIS (one of which can be protected with Shibboleth, the other one not) but you don't actually need to copy the directories, it's the same files on disk.

I haven't tried this yet though. I agree the documentation is unfortunately parsimonious.