I'm using a few applications in Tomcat, so inflections are much more
difficult to implement than content negotiation. I can probably tweak the
Apache settings to do a proxypass for inflections by modifying the examples
above.

I agree with Conal, though. Inflections are puzzling at best and bad
architecture at worst, and the sooner the community puts forward a more
standard solution, the better.