We do most of our development work with the Java library MARC4j (you can output MARCXML, and validate that):

http://marc4j.tigris.org/

And we've used the MARC tools in YAZ on the command line quite often, too:

http://www.indexdata.com/yaz

The LOC has a comprehensive list of tools:

http://www.loc.gov/marc/marctools.html

-- Scott