Jeremy's response made me think.

What do people think about formulating a "Library Digital Privacy Pledge" that
libraries, publishers and vendors could sign onto?

Or perhaps a set of pledges. I'd start with moving services to SSL.

Principle:
Library Services and Resources should be delivered, whenever practical, over
channels that are immune to eavesdropping.

Current Best Practice:
Require HTTPS (SSL) for all services and resources delvivered via the web.

Pledge (for Libraries):
1. All web services that we control will require SSL by the end of 2015.
2. All web services that we pay for will require SSL by the end of 2016.

Pledge (for Publishers and Vendors):
1. All web services that we control will enable SSL by the end of 2015.
2. All web services that we offer will require SSL by the end of 2016.

I pick HTTPS to focus on first because it's relatively easy to specify/
understand. You could do something similar with meta referrer, but it's a bit
more arcane.

There's a NISO group (I'm on the steering committee) looking at developing
principles for library privacy that might be an appropriate forum to support
this.

Eric