Good evening,

We are currently experiencing a dilemma with alt tags in our digital
collections.

We would like to include alt tags to be in compliance with accessibility
guidelines.

When looking at an item detail page
<https://gallery.multcolib.org/image/widmer-kegs-trailer>, there is a lot
of surrounding metadata to help visualize the image, but on our search
results <https://gallery.multcolib.org/search/site> pages, that detail is
not present. Currently a screen reader is not reading the titles of the
images on our search results page.

We are able to add alt tags to the image to help with this. Our dilemma is
what those tags should be so they are not redundant of either the title or
description metadata, but still helpful.

Are any of you using alt tags in your images for digital collections
similiar to ours? If so, what guidelines do you use to create those alt
tags?

Erica

*Erica Findley*
Cataloging/Metadata Librarian