It is a strange case possibly because what I am doing is rendering a game
to a 320x240 image, then scaling it up to the fullscreen size and
displaying that (quite a weird way to make an old game work I guess but the
easiest I can think of). Having said that I doubt this would affect fonts
since the scaling is done right at the end.

Edit, I just realised I have a copy of the graphics object, and wasnt
callign set font on that, so now actually it is ok! weird how it would be
different on device.

Here is how I make my fonts: