It did eventually show up. I haven't submitted to the app store for a
while. iTunes Connect seems to have disappeared, I was using something
called App Connect. It used to be that when you uploaded from x-code the
build appeared immediately in my account and I could submit it for review.
That doesn't seem to be the way it works anymore. I eventually got an
e-mail from Apple about 10 hours after the upload telling me that the build
was there and I could submit it for review.

So it did make it, I just need more patience:-)

It will still appear to the user as 4.00 which is what was hoping for.

One strange thing though. I updated the version to 4.01, I just double
checked that, it is 4.01. Yet in the Apple e-mail confirming the upload
they referred to it as 4.1. I don't know if that is Apple or CodenameOne.

Thanks