I want to use the cool slide out side menu with a container Ive built
(basically something like your gorgeous sidemenu tutorial but with a
container ive built). But I have a couple of issues:

So I have made the menu using

Toolbar tb = f.getToolbar();
tb.setHidden(true); // i want to use my own custom made top bar so hide
default one
Container IncludeSideBar = (Container) createContainer(r, "IncludeSideBar");
tb.addComponentToSideMenu(IncludeSideBar);

So far so good, but when I open the menu it appears very strange, see
screenshot. It only shows 3 entries (I can scroll down to see others) and
doesnt fill the full height of the screen (leaving gaps at top and bottom)
and leaves a gap on the left too. How can I make it appear more like the
design I have shown in my screenshot?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxrcu9q7gl8pfsl/Snap%202019-01-14%20at%2023.56.21.png?dl=0