Hello,

This mail is not an answer. Only some ideas for those who want to think :)

I don't think that Collectd is the best way to collect metrics with non-numeric values. However, if your plugin can set metadata (I presume that snmp does not), maybe you can do something... as far as your output plugin knows what to do with them. Kafka output plugin does. rrdtool output plugin does not, of course.

Regards,
Yves