From: collectd <collectd-boun...@verplant.org> On Behalf Of Lonni J Friedman
Sent: Monday, 6 August 2018 12:18 AM
To: collectd@verplant.org
Subject: [collectd] exec plugin never runs, no errors reported

Hello,
I'm running collectd-5.8.0 on a Linux server.  I recently added an Exec plugin
which invokes a small python script that I wrote to capture weather data.  If I
run the script manually, it behaves as expected, generating the following
output over time:

$ /etc/collectd.d/get_weather.py
PUTVAL "hal/exec-weather/temperature-weather_level" interval=90 N:67.1 PUTVAL
"hal/exec-weather/temperature-weather_level" interval=90 N:67.1 PUTVAL
"hal/exec-weather/temperature-weather_level" interval=90 N:67.6

However, collectd never seems to run the plugin at all, and also isn't
generating any errors.  I'm logging everything from collectd into its own
dedicated log:

<Plugin logfile>
    LogLevel info
    File "/var/log/collectd.log"
    Timestamp true
    PrintSeverity true
</Plugin>

I have the following configured for the exec plugin:
<Plugin exec>
    Exec "netllama" "/etc/collectd.d/get_weather.py"
</Plugin>

When I (re)start collectd, I see the following in /var/log/collectd.log:

[2018-08-05 09:07:22] [info] plugin_load: plugin "exec" successfully loaded.

But no other messages related to the plugin, and the script itself is not
running.  At this point, I'm at a loss how to debug further when nothing is
being logged. Even if something was failing, shouldn't it log something
somewhere?

Thanks for any suggestions.