Hi Matthias,

I should have clarified that there will be multiple unconnected LAN’s. There
are no persistent readers available at the individual sites (until a phone is
turned on or an appliance is turned on, sort of like an optional thermostat
that can measure temperature in a gauge and be replaced with a smart thermostat
which can trend.)

As a practical example, I have an inverter which transmits voltage and current
over a Bluetooth connection, receives only when the app is running, only at a
particular location, the app is clunky, uses gauges, does not offer line
graphs, but there is a lot of potential in the concept. I use it only during
power outages. I need to review the stats even less often.

Are you sure collectd would queue UDP multicast until all readers are available
& responding with acks?

I could not quite find that behavior in the docs, I may have missed it. That
would not meet my use case for telemetry, if that is the case.

To be frank, I never imagined a UDP multicast performance data collection &
transport would queue until ack… in my mind, that’s like expecting DirecTV
boxes to send acks before broadcasters send the next frame. Performance data &
live audio/video streams are normally tolerant of loss. SNMP theory argues
performance monitoring should be the lowest on network priorities & least heavy
of protocols when monitoring devices. (I know this is not SNMP.) I certainly
don’t want the embedded system running out of RAM because my phone is
disconnected, I don’t need history beyond the time I leave my phone on for.

I am in need of something very small & light to quickly collect & transmit
telemetry to guest readers, where simple readers can be added & removed &
upgraded painlessly, some using gauges, others using graphs.

It is sounding like it might be better for me to just get an X Windows emulator
for my phone and use something like XDM with an series of X Apps readers
positioned by X-Y coordinate on an automatic pop up root screen or a choice of
root screens (for multiple telemetry feeds) while on the LAN, to provide
something closer to a zero-administration telemetry appliances? (X worked for
the airplane telemetry & diagnostic equipment… I was just hoping collectd could
be lighter on the embedded system in my project and simpler to set up.)

Thanks, DavidH
PS over the past 15 years, people refer to this as “collected” (what the tool
might have done for old data), auto-correct mangled it, others mis-read it,
others search for “collected”, writing it as the first word in a sentence Is
awkward in documentation using all lower case, so all lowercase generally
creates a problem with communicating concisely. Since most search engines are
case insensitive, when I used CollectD in docs & conversations, those issues
are quickly resolved when they type in what they remember, capitals is more
memorable with newbies, more easily pronounceable when communicating only in
text, and the capitals accentuate what seems to be it’s core identity &
functionality: Collect Daemon

Sent from my iPhone