Repository: asterixdb
Updated Branches:
  refs/heads/master 48a506b88 -> 709273a84


Added more explanations for two config parameters

 - Added more planataions for storage.memorycomponent.numpages and
   storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget

Change-Id: Idea269eec4d89f665772267588ce2b019327de04
Reviewed-on: https://asterix-gerrit.ics.uci.edu/1281
Sonar-Qube: Jenkins <jenk...@fulliautomatix.ics.uci.edu>
Reviewed-by: Ian Maxon <ima...@apache.org>
Tested-by: Jenkins <jenk...@fulliautomatix.ics.uci.edu>


Project: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/repo
Commit: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/commit/709273a8
Tree: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/tree/709273a8
Diff: http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/diff/709273a8

Branch: refs/heads/master
Commit: 709273a8418c090d2fa4110f9811d248179ebe6b
Parents: 48a506b
Author: Taewoo Kim <wangs...@yahoo.com>
Authored: Thu Oct 13 13:55:08 2016 -0700
Committer: Taewoo Kim <wangs...@yahoo.com>
Committed: Thu Oct 13 14:48:50 2016 -0700

----------------------------------------------------------------------
 .../main/resources/asterix-build-configuration.xml    |  5 ++++-
 .../asterix-docker/docker/asterix-configuration.xml   | 13 +++++++++----
 .../configs/asterix-configuration.xml                 | 14 ++++++++++----
 .../src/main/resources/conf/asterix-configuration.xml | 13 +++++++++----
 .../resources/integrationts/asterix-configuration.xml | 13 +++++++++----
 .../src/main/resources/base-asterix-configuration.xml | 13 +++++++++----
 .../resources/configs/base-asterix-configuration.xml  | 13 +++++++++----
 7 files changed, 59 insertions(+), 25 deletions(-)
----------------------------------------------------------------------


http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/blob/709273a8/asterixdb/asterix-app/src/main/resources/asterix-build-configuration.xml
----------------------------------------------------------------------
diff --git 
a/asterixdb/asterix-app/src/main/resources/asterix-build-configuration.xml 
b/asterixdb/asterix-app/src/main/resources/asterix-build-configuration.xml
index 142b93a..ef0cdf2 100644
--- a/asterixdb/asterix-app/src/main/resources/asterix-build-configuration.xml
+++ b/asterixdb/asterix-app/src/main/resources/asterix-build-configuration.xml
@@ -89,7 +89,10 @@
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.numpages</name>
     <value>8</value>
     <description>The number of pages to allocate for a memory component.
-      (Default = 8)
+      This budget is shared by all the memory components of the primary
+      index and all its secondary indexes across all I/O devices on a node.
+      Note: in-memory components usually has fill factor of 75% since
+      the pages are 75% full and the remaining 25% is un-utilized. (Default = 
256)
     </description>
   </property>
   <property>

http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/blob/709273a8/asterixdb/asterix-docker/docker/asterix-configuration.xml
----------------------------------------------------------------------
diff --git a/asterixdb/asterix-docker/docker/asterix-configuration.xml 
b/asterixdb/asterix-docker/docker/asterix-configuration.xml
index ea43da9..fe9827c 100644
--- a/asterixdb/asterix-docker/docker/asterix-configuration.xml
+++ b/asterixdb/asterix-docker/docker/asterix-configuration.xml
@@ -101,7 +101,10 @@
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.numpages</name>
     <value>256</value>
     <description>The number of pages to allocate for a memory component.
-      (Default = 256)
+      This budget is shared by all the memory components of the primary
+      index and all its secondary indexes across all I/O devices on a node.
+      Note: in-memory components usually has fill factor of 75% since
+      the pages are 75% full and the remaining 25% is un-utilized. (Default = 
256)
     </description>
   </property>
   <property>
@@ -123,9 +126,11 @@
   <property>
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget</name>
     <value>512MB</value>
-    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all
-      open memory
-      components cannot exceed. (Default = "536870192" // 512MB)
+    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all open 
memory
+      components cannot exceed. Consider this as the buffer cache for all 
memory
+      components of all indexes in a node. When this budget is fully used, a 
victim
+      dataset will be chosen. The chosen dataset must be evicted and closed to 
make
+      a space for another dataset. (Default = 512MB)
     </description>
   </property>
 

http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/blob/709273a8/asterixdb/asterix-experiments/src/main/resources/ingestion-experiment-binary-and-configs/configs/asterix-configuration.xml
----------------------------------------------------------------------
diff --git 
a/asterixdb/asterix-experiments/src/main/resources/ingestion-experiment-binary-and-configs/configs/asterix-configuration.xml
 
b/asterixdb/asterix-experiments/src/main/resources/ingestion-experiment-binary-and-configs/configs/asterix-configuration.xml
index c642cbb..f4bb47a 100644
--- 
a/asterixdb/asterix-experiments/src/main/resources/ingestion-experiment-binary-and-configs/configs/asterix-configuration.xml
+++ 
b/asterixdb/asterix-experiments/src/main/resources/ingestion-experiment-binary-and-configs/configs/asterix-configuration.xml
@@ -72,7 +72,11 @@
   <property>
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.numpages</name>
     <value>8192</value>
-    <description>
+    <description>The number of pages to allocate for a memory component.
+      This budget is shared by all the memory components of the primary
+      index and all its secondary indexes across all I/O devices on a node.
+      Note: in-memory components usually has fill factor of 75% since
+      the pages are 75% full and the remaining 25% is un-utilized. (Default = 
256)
     </description>
   </property>
   <!--// Buffer size per dataset for in-memory components -->
@@ -96,9 +100,11 @@
   <property>
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget</name>
     <value>4196MB</value>
-    <description>[4GB + 100MB]The total size of memory in bytes that the sum 
of all
-      open memory
-      components cannot exceed. (Default = "536870192" // 512MB)
+    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all open 
memory
+      components cannot exceed. Consider this as the buffer cache for all 
memory
+      components of all indexes in a node. When this budget is fully used, a 
victim
+      dataset will be chosen. The chosen dataset must be evicted and closed to 
make
+      a space for another dataset. (Default = 512MB)
     </description>
   </property>
 

http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/blob/709273a8/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/main/resources/conf/asterix-configuration.xml
----------------------------------------------------------------------
diff --git 
a/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/main/resources/conf/asterix-configuration.xml 
b/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/main/resources/conf/asterix-configuration.xml
index aa8ad8d..ed8e70a 100644
--- 
a/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/main/resources/conf/asterix-configuration.xml
+++ 
b/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/main/resources/conf/asterix-configuration.xml
@@ -76,7 +76,10 @@
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.numpages</name>
     <value>256</value>
     <description>The number of pages to allocate for a memory component.
-      (Default = 256)
+      This budget is shared by all the memory components of the primary
+      index and all its secondary indexes across all I/O devices on a node.
+      Note: in-memory components usually has fill factor of 75% since
+      the pages are 75% full and the remaining 25% is un-utilized. (Default = 
256)
     </description>
   </property>
 
@@ -99,9 +102,11 @@
   <property>
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget</name>
     <value>1GB</value>
-    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all
-      open memory
-      components cannot exceed. (Default = "536870192" // 512MB)
+    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all open 
memory
+      components cannot exceed. Consider this as the buffer cache for all 
memory
+      components of all indexes in a node. When this budget is fully used, a 
victim
+      dataset will be chosen. The chosen dataset must be evicted and closed to 
make
+      a space for another dataset. (Default = 512MB)
     </description>
   </property>
 

http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/blob/709273a8/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/test/resources/integrationts/asterix-configuration.xml
----------------------------------------------------------------------
diff --git 
a/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/test/resources/integrationts/asterix-configuration.xml
 
b/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/test/resources/integrationts/asterix-configuration.xml
index e36c33b..9992009 100644
--- 
a/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/test/resources/integrationts/asterix-configuration.xml
+++ 
b/asterixdb/asterix-installer/src/test/resources/integrationts/asterix-configuration.xml
@@ -76,7 +76,10 @@
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.numpages</name>
     <value>256</value>
     <description>The number of pages to allocate for a memory component.
-      (Default = 256)
+      This budget is shared by all the memory components of the primary
+      index and all its secondary indexes across all I/O devices on a node.
+      Note: in-memory components usually has fill factor of 75% since
+      the pages are 75% full and the remaining 25% is un-utilized. (Default = 
256)
     </description>
   </property>
 
@@ -99,9 +102,11 @@
   <property>
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget</name>
     <value>1GB</value>
-    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all
-      open memory
-      components cannot exceed. (Default = "536870192" // 512MB)
+    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all open 
memory
+      components cannot exceed. Consider this as the buffer cache for all 
memory
+      components of all indexes in a node. When this budget is fully used, a 
victim
+      dataset will be chosen. The chosen dataset must be evicted and closed to 
make
+      a space for another dataset. (Default = 512MB)
     </description>
   </property>
 

http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/blob/709273a8/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/base-asterix-configuration.xml
----------------------------------------------------------------------
diff --git 
a/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/base-asterix-configuration.xml 
b/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/base-asterix-configuration.xml
index 788cb76..a1b369e 100644
--- a/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/base-asterix-configuration.xml
+++ b/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/base-asterix-configuration.xml
@@ -76,7 +76,10 @@
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.numpages</name>
     <value>256</value>
     <description>The number of pages to allocate for a memory component.
-      (Default = 256)
+      This budget is shared by all the memory components of the primary
+      index and all its secondary indexes across all I/O devices on a node.
+      Note: in-memory components usually has fill factor of 75% since
+      the pages are 75% full and the remaining 25% is un-utilized. (Default = 
256)
     </description>
   </property>
 
@@ -99,9 +102,11 @@
   <property>
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget</name>
     <value>512MB</value>
-    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all
-      open memory
-      components cannot exceed. (Default = "536870192" // 512MB)
+    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all open 
memory
+      components cannot exceed. Consider this as the buffer cache for all 
memory
+      components of all indexes in a node. When this budget is fully used, a 
victim
+      dataset will be chosen. The chosen dataset must be evicted and closed to 
make
+      a space for another dataset. (Default = 512MB)
     </description>
   </property>
 

http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/asterixdb/blob/709273a8/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/configs/base-asterix-configuration.xml
----------------------------------------------------------------------
diff --git 
a/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/configs/base-asterix-configuration.xml
 
b/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/configs/base-asterix-configuration.xml
index 788cb76..a1b369e 100644
--- 
a/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/configs/base-asterix-configuration.xml
+++ 
b/asterixdb/asterix-yarn/src/main/resources/configs/base-asterix-configuration.xml
@@ -76,7 +76,10 @@
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.numpages</name>
     <value>256</value>
     <description>The number of pages to allocate for a memory component.
-      (Default = 256)
+      This budget is shared by all the memory components of the primary
+      index and all its secondary indexes across all I/O devices on a node.
+      Note: in-memory components usually has fill factor of 75% since
+      the pages are 75% full and the remaining 25% is un-utilized. (Default = 
256)
     </description>
   </property>
 
@@ -99,9 +102,11 @@
   <property>
     <name>storage.memorycomponent.globalbudget</name>
     <value>512MB</value>
-    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all
-      open memory
-      components cannot exceed. (Default = "536870192" // 512MB)
+    <description>The total size of memory in bytes that the sum of all open 
memory
+      components cannot exceed. Consider this as the buffer cache for all 
memory
+      components of all indexes in a node. When this budget is fully used, a 
victim
+      dataset will be chosen. The chosen dataset must be evicted and closed to 
make
+      a space for another dataset. (Default = 512MB)
     </description>
   </property>
 

Reply via email to