allthingssecurity opened a new pull request, #26770:
URL: https://github.com/apache/camel/pull/26770

   # Description
   
   [CAMEL-24923](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL-24923)
   
   `loadBalance().weighted(...)` didn't validate the ratio values. Negative 
ratios, all-zero ratios, or ratios whose sum overflows an `int` let the route 
start, and then the caller hung: the round robin selection spun forever holding 
the lock, or `nextInt(0)` threw out of `process()` and the callback was never 
called.
   
   This change:
   - `WeightedLoadBalancer.doStart` checks the ratios next to the existing 
count check: none may be negative, at least one must be positive, and the sum 
must fit in an `int`. A ratio of 0 for some endpoints is still allowed (that 
endpoint gets no messages).
   - `QueueLoadBalancer.process` sets an exception thrown by `chooseProcessor` 
on the exchange and calls the callback, instead of letting it escape the async 
contract. This also covers a sticky load balancer whose correlation expression 
throws.
   - The weighted load balancer docs and the 4.23 upgrade guide mention that 
such routes now fail at startup.
   
   Tests: new `WeightedLoadBalanceInvalidRatioTest`:
   - `testInvalidRatiosRejectedOnStart`: 7 cases covering both modes.
   - `testZeroRatioForSomeProcessorsIsAllowed`: guards against over-strict 
validation.
   - `testExceptionWhenChoosingProcessorIsSetOnExchange`.
   
   Without the fix, 7 cases fail with `Expected java.lang.Exception to be 
thrown, but nothing was thrown.` and one errors because the exception escapes 
`process()`. With the fix, all 9 pass. 
`*LoadBalanc*,Failover*,FailOver*,*Sticky*`: 65 tests, 0 failures. Managed load 
balancer tests: 8 tests, 0 failures.
   
   Found with a Lean 4 model of the weighted load balancers, then reproduced 
against the real classes.
   
   # Target
   
   - [x] I checked that the commit is targeting the correct branch (Camel 4 
uses the `main` branch)
   
   # Tracking
   - [x] If this is a large change, bug fix, or code improvement, I checked 
there is a [JIRA issue](https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL) filed for 
the change (usually before you start working on it).
   
   # Apache Camel coding standards and style
   
   - [x] I checked that each commit in the pull request has a meaningful 
subject line and body.
   - [ ] I have run `mvn clean install -DskipTests` locally from root folder 
and I have committed all auto-generated changes.
     (I built and tested the affected modules, including the formatter and 
import-sort plugins. I did not run the full root build.)
   
   # AI-assisted contributions
   
   - [x] If this PR includes AI-generated code, commits have proper 
co-authorship attribution (e.g., `Co-authored-by` trailers) and the PR 
description identifies the AI tool used.
     This PR was prepared with Claude Code (Claude Opus 5.5). The commit 
carries a `Co-Authored-By` trailer.
   


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to