vinothchandar commented on issue #976: [HUDI-106] Adding support for 
DynamicBloomFilter
URL: https://github.com/apache/incubator-hudi/pull/976#issuecomment-549065995
 
 
   @nsivabalan Here is the problem as I see it, w.r.t bounding size.. Currently 
we have a low default 60K, which comes out to reading ~400kb from the parquet 
footer. not too shabby a overhead.. My understanding is that the parquet 
footers are all read at once and even query engines would read the footer.. So 
if we don't bound the size of the dynamic bloom fitler to say 1MB or so, 
queries can pay a penalty? (I dont know how big this would be or if its okay) 
But we won't offer the user the choice to make tradeoffs.. IIUC we need our own 
impl of dynamic bloom if we were to limit the size.. correct? how doable is 
that? 
   
   >I am trying to find ways to test the FP ratio. Not sure how would you test 
that.
   The way I have done it in the past, is to generate a lot of key and hold it 
in two lists : added, notAdded.. I add the ones from `added` to bloom filter 
and then check for false positives using notAdded list.. how much % of not 
added had a hit is your fp.. For this impl, we need ensure that the fp ratio 
remains the same, even as you increase the size of added/notAdded lists.. 
   
   Other small points:
   - if we don't have a way to configure the bloom type to use, we should add 
one
   - We should consider if the default here should be `the error rate 10^-9`. 
This will also help reduce the size.. we already have techniques like range 
pruning  to reduce the amount of comparisons.. Assuming even a large 100M 
entries inserted into a partition, if the bloom filter had `10^-8`, it might be 
enough prevent  false positives right.. I guess this will drop the storage 
needed considerably? 
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   
   

----------------------------------------------------------------
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.
 
For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]


With regards,
Apache Git Services

Reply via email to