DanielLeens commented on PR #11829:
URL: https://github.com/apache/seatunnel/pull/11829#issuecomment-5379751595

   @goutamadwant Good question — and to be direct: this is ultimately your and 
the maintainers' call, not something I can dictate as a reviewer. But since 
you're asking, here's the concrete evidence I have to decide with.
   
   **What I already said in my last review** (Issue 1): either resolution is 
acceptable — (a) move the discussion back to the STIP-36 issue only, or (b) 
relocate the design content to a less end-user-facing part of `docs/`, gated 
with a clearer "proposal, not implemented" banner. The problem flagged by both 
nzw921rx and me was never the content (I verified it line-by-line against 
`MultiTableSinkWriter`, `TransformFlowLifeCycle`, `TableEvent`, etc. and found 
it accurate) — it was the current location: 
`docs/en(zh)/introduction/configuration/`, directly linked from the live 
`schema-evolution.md` page that users read to configure an already-shipped 
feature.
   
   **New data point since then**: I checked how a directly comparable case was 
actually resolved on this repo. #11734 (STIP-33, "Add task failure history 
design" — same author, same pattern: an unimplemented-feature design doc with 
an "It does not describe an implemented API yet" disclaimer) placed its doc at 
`docs/en/engines/zeta/task-failure-history.md` — an engine-feature-docs folder, 
not `introduction/configuration/` — and I did not raise a placement objection 
across the review rounds there; I approved it in that location. So the working 
precedent right now is: a STIP design doc *can* live in the docs tree, it just 
needs to sit somewhere that isn't the actionable end-user configuration 
reference. That's what makes `introduction/configuration/` specifically risky 
here, not `docs/` in general.
   
   I also checked: there is no `STIP`-named directory or convention anywhere 
under `docs/` on `dev` — every STIP today lives purely as a labeled GitHub 
issue. So "keep the design entirely in the issue" (nzw921rx's original 
suggestion) is also a legitimate, more conservative option; it's just not the 
only path other STIPs on this repo have actually taken.
   
   Concretely, my recommendation (not a mandate): keep this PR, move 
`schema-evolution-timeline-design.md` out of `introduction/configuration/` into 
something like `docs/en/architecture/` or an engine-docs location mirroring 
#11734 (e.g. `docs/en/engines/zeta/`), keep STIP-36 (#11790) as the 
source-of-truth discussion, and resolve the dev conflict on top of that 
relocation. If you'd rather fold everything into the issue and close this PR 
instead, that's equally consistent with repo precedent — that call belongs to 
you and the maintainers, not to me.
   


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to