On Apr 28, 2010, at 9:30 AM, kovachev wrote:
> we are trying to set up Hadoop to run on Solaris 10 within Containers.
> However, we encounter many problems.
> Could you please write here down all the extra settings needed for running
> Hadoop on Solaris?

The two big ones:

        - whoami needs to be in the path because Hadoop is too stupid to figure
out who is using it without a shell out
        - For HADOOP_IDENT_STRING we use `/usr/xpg4/bin/id -u -n`

Also note that Hadoop can get confused about pooled storage.  In the case of
ZFS, creating FS's such as:

u007                   914G    24K   345G     1%    /mnt/u007
u007/mapred            200G   7.2G   193G     4%    /mnt/u007/mapred
u007/dfs-data          914G   369G   345G    52%    /mnt/u007/dfs-data

will cause HDFS to miscalculate the total capacity of a datanode and the entire
cluster.  So just remember there is less storage there than what it tells you.
[I think there is a JIRA on this somewhere, but because so few of us use pooled
storage, it is unlikely to get fixed.]

        - If you use the Cloudera dist, you'll likely need to back some of
their changes out in order for it to work properly.  [We don't anymore, so
dunno if that is still the case.]