On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 12:13 PM, Matt Foley <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
> For discussion, please see previous thread "[PROPOSAL] introduce Python as
> build-time and run-time dependency for Hadoop and throughout Hadoop stack".

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't possibly imagine how
a vote on a common-dev@hadoop.apache.org could possibly
affect downstream projects. I honestly don't think we should be
in a business of telling Pig, Hive, Oozie, etc. what to use or
not to use.

With that in mind the following vote applies ONLY to Hadoop
project itself:
   -1, +1, -1

> Personally, my vote is +1, +1, +1.
> I think #2 is preferable to #1, but still has many unknowns in it, and
> until those are worked out I don't want to delay moving to cross-platform
> scripts for build-time tasks.

And yet #2 is, in my opinion, a much better investment of our collective
time. We already at the mercy of JDK, but at least it is a far superior
platform from a support and backward compatibility perspective. Anything
that we can offload to it -- is absolutely worth doing.

Thanks,
Roman.