+1million

I completely agree with Chris D's separate email too about not
vote'ing about intentions, and voting on actual artifacts.

The fact of the matter at the ASF is that any PMC member; heck any
contributor can roll a release candidate. If that candidate receives
at least 3 PMC member +1s (to make it binding as backed by the Foundation
and its distributed committees and structure), and more +1s than -1s,
you've got yourself
a release. It's up to someone on the PMC/committee at that point to publish
the bits on ASF infrastructure and ultimately to make sure that whoever
made
the RC has a key that's present in a KEYS file or on id.apache.org, but
beyond that, that's it.*

Cheers,
Chris

* - if Joe Schmoe comes along and makes a release candidate that passes
muster with the Hadoop PMC, then I would expect Joe Schmoe should be added
to the PMC :)

Chris Mattmann, Ph.D.
Senior Computer Scientist
Office: 171-266B, Mailstop: 171-246