Hello all,

I would like to call a vote to merge phase 1 of the Heterogeneous Storage
feature into trunk.

*Scope of the changes:*
The changes allow exposing the DataNode as a collection of storages and set
the foundation for subsequent work to present Heterogeneous Storages to
applications. This allows DataNodes to send block and storage reports
per-storage. In addition this change introduces the ability to add a
'storage type' tag to the storage directories. This enables supporting
different types of storages in addition to disk storage.

Development of the feature is tracked in the jira
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-2832.

*Details of development and testing:*
Development has been done in a separate branch -
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/branches/HDFS-2832. The
updated design is posted at -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12615761/20131125-HeterogeneousStorage.pdf.
The changes involve ~6K changed lines of code, with a third of those
changes being to tests.

Please see the test plan
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12616642/20131202-HeterogeneousStorage-TestPlan.pdffor
the details. Once the feature is
merged into trunk, we will continue to test and fix any bugs that may be
found on trunk as well as add further tests as outlined in the test plan.

The bulk of the design and implementation was done by Suresh Srinivas,
Sanjay Radia, Nicholas Sze, Junping Du and me. Also, thanks to Eric
Sirianni, Chris Nauroth, Steve Loughran, Bikas Saha, Andrew Wang and Todd
Lipcon for providing feedback on the Jiras and in discussions.

This vote runs for a week and closes on 12/9/2013 at 11:59 pm PT.

Thanks,
Arpit

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE