On 19 June 2014 10:07, javadba <java...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The following link from January states that Windows 7 (NOT Server) should
> work.  Has anyone been successful with this and have any comments on the
> process?
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hadoop2OnWindows
> <https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hadoop2OnWindows >
>
> >> Windows Vista and Windows 7 are also likely to work because of the Win32
> >> API similarities with the respective server SKUs

I haven't tried it, so don't have opinions...why not follow the
instructions and if something doesn't build (and it's not something basic
like "tools not installed), discuss it here

> The present lack of support by HortonWorks for anything but Windows SERVER
> was a really ugly discovery for my team. We do not have any option to use
> that O/S per our (v large) company IT policies. So support for Windows 7
> Pro
> would be a big help.

I understand large IT policies, having experience them -it's just that
Windows Server is the only place people will run Hadoop on Windows, and
there may be enough differences between the desktop and server editions,
that doing everything server-side makes it work.

If you have an MSDN license, you should be able to bring up a 64-bit
windows server VM...that is how I test against hadoop on windows & Linux on
my OS/X laptop,

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE