This is basically what I did, make patches of each of my branches and then
reapply to the new trunk. One small recommendation would be to make the
remote named "apache" rather than "asflive" so it's consistent with the
GitAndHadoop wikipage. IMO naming branches with a "/" (e.g. "live/trunk")
is also kind of ambiguous, since it's the same syntax used to specify a
remote. It seems there can also be difficulties with directory and
filenames.

Somewhat related, it'd be nice to update the GitAndHadoop instructions on
how to generate a patch using git-format-patch. I've been using plain old
"git diff" for a while, but format-patch seems better. It'd be especially
nice if a recommended .gitconfig section was made available :)

I plan to play with format-patch some in the near future and might do this
myself, but if any git gurus already have this ready to go, feel free to
edit.